Happy Spring to all IHF Volunteers and supporters!
We are thrilled to see the tinge of green showing up as it means we are getting very close to our first flight of 2018. Less than 2 weeks to go! We have a terrific group of WWII, Korea and Vietnam Veterans lined up to go see their memorials and have a long-deserved day of thanks and honor.
Our volunteers have filled all the needed spots for the flight and our Bus captains have worked an enormous number of hours to interview veterans and take care of many other details. We are so very proud of our dedicated volunteers and they way they take care of our Veteran heroes.
On March 29th we participated in the first local celebration of Vietnam Veteran’s Day at Plainfield High School. Over 400 Vietnam veterans attended along with hundreds more family members and other folks who wanted to say thank you and welcome home. Almost 50 IHF volunteers worked their magic to make sure every veteran felt welcome and the event went smoothly.
Indy Honor Flight is much more than just our flight schedule-we are constantly working with other groups and events to do our part to honor the U.S.A.’s service men and women. In addition to providing speakers at various church, civic and corporate groups we host our meals each month to allow our Veterans who have flown with us the chance to visit and spend time with their comrades-in-arms. It is very rewarding to see the bonds of friendship develop between the various service branches and different generations of warriors.
All of our fundraising, training, meals and flight information can be found on our website calendar. We also post very regularly to our Facebook page, please check there often for updates. If you have a question you cannot get answered on those sites, please send an email to Info@IndyHonorFlight.org and one of our volunteers will get back with you.
Please continue to spread the word about what we do, there are still those who have not heard of the Honor Flight. Finding our next veterans to honor is a job we can all help with! We look forward to seeing all of you at the Homecoming event Saturday, April 28th, Plainfield High School, 9PM.
Dale True, IHF Chairman
This months featured meal is the Westside breakfast. This occurs the first Saturday of each month at is held at the Westsdie Garden Plaza in Avon. This is a free breakfast. 40 guests enjoyed food and fellowship as well as a special presentation from our very own Chariman, Dale True. Dale shared a video about a son that followed his fathers footsteps through WWII and his time as a POW. He then reminded each Veteran that they have a story to tell and they should not be shy in sharing those stories. Breakfast ended with the traditional singing of God Bless America. Special thanks to all the volunteers that came out to assist!
Link to IHF Monthly Meal Information
Frequently Asked Questions
- How many veterans normally go on a flight? 89
- Where do I send Mail Call for the next Flight? Indy Honor Flight, PO Box 10, Plainfield IN 46168
- How does a veteran sign up? Complete and mail a Veteran Application (Found on our website)
- How are veterans selected for the flight? By service dates and age, the most senior go first.
- Does a veteran have to sign up more than once? No, we keep applications on file until space is available.
- We do not have a family member to travel as a Guardian, can our Veteran still go? Absolutely! We have several hundred volunteers on a waiting list to travel with our heroes.
- Why does the Guardian have to pay to fly? We are 100% funded by donations. The flights are expensive and in order to provide the trip at no cost to the veteran we require the Guardian to help pay for some of the flight costs.
- What do you see while in Washington D.C.? As much as we can squeeze in to a single day! We visit the top 3 veteran memorials; WWII, Korea, and Vietnam, along with the Lincoln memorial. We take a driving tour through downtown D.C. to see many historical buildings and sites. We also travel to Arlington National Cemetery to observe the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown. It is a busy day!
- How can we help Indy Honor Flight? Help us by telling veterans about us, volunteering your time and by making donations to keep us flying.
A visit to our webpage can assist with more Click Here for our website
IHF Flight #26 Homecoming
You are cordially invited to attend the Homecomings for our Spring Fights. Veterans call your Guardians and tell them you want to come! Guardians call your Veterans and make sure they aren’t busy! We would love to see you!
Saturday April 28th at Plainfield High School. The Event starts at 9:00PM
Plainfield High School
1 Red Pride Drive
Plainfield IN 46168
Our Volunteers are amazing!
We have a very dedicated and passionate group of volunteers. They wear Red, Orange, White and Green shirts. They show up early and go home late. They enter information in our databases, man our phone and email, fix our wheelchairs, interview Veterans and Guardians, take all the beautiful photos of each flight, write letters, stuff envelopes, load and unload trailers, they ensure each Veteran and Guardian is medically safe. They stand at the curb, at the doors, in the hall and in the gym. Our Volunteers make our flights 100% possible and they do all this out of gratitude for what the Veterans we honor sacrificed for us. On behalf of the Board of Directors we thank each and every volunteer that makes Indy Honor Flight happen. We could not do this without you! THANK YOU!!!!!
IHF Out and About
- IHF #27 Saturday May 26th – Decatur Central High School, 9:00PM
- Avon Cruise In – Every Saturday starting May 5th in the Lowes Parking lot in Avon , IN
- Classic Cars and Trucks and fellowship
- Starts at 6:30pm till sundown
- 50/50 Raffle to Benefit IHF
- Ground Crew look for the sign up for this to come out this weekend
- IHF 2018 Reunion – Details to come soon!
- IHF #28 Saturday October 20th Plainfield High School
- Ganassi Racing Open House Fundraiser November 17th – More info to follow!