As we go into another month of restrictions and quarantine, we hope this message finds you and yours well. This has certainly been a learning experience for those of us who did not live through the depression and the war years!
We continue to try and support our heroes as best we can during this time of social distancing, we are sending birthday cards and trying to keep up with our Veterans. The national Board of Directors for Honor Flight has suspended all flights through the end of June, but depending on local regulations we may be able to return to some of our activities after June 1st. Of course, all of these decisions will be made with careful consideration of our exclusive high-risk group. We still have our flights reserved for September and October with every hope of being able to fly. We will communicate any changes to everyone not only through the newsletter but also on our FaceBook page, so please follow us there.
This time of unknowns is unsettling for many. Please be sure to talk to folks you know and care about, be honest with your feelings and take comfort knowing there are thousands just like you going through this at the same time. Since we cannot get together, sometimes it feels like we are more alone with our emotions. Take the time to call, wave through the window, write a letter, send a text, whatever works best for you! Our volunteers are the most caring, loving and dedicated folks you can find anywhere! You are loved and respected by everyone who is involved and supports the Indy Honor Flight and all of us are anxious to get back to work serving our Hoosier Heroes. Hang tough and we will get through all this.
In the meantime, stay healthy by protecting yourself and your loved ones. I won’t repeat the things you are told a hundred times a day-I think we know how by now! Be safe and we look forward to seeing you “on the curb” soon!
Dale True, IHF Chairman
IHF RAIN RIDE FUNDRAISER!!!!!
You may remember that the Indy Honor Flight Cycling Team participated in the annual Ride Across Indiana (RAIN) in 2018, the 160-mile bicycle ride from Terre Haute to Richmond…in ONE day! Team members requested donations from family and friends…and they raised over $8,000 for IHF! After much encouragement and positive feedback, the team has committed to participating in the 2020 RAIN event.
Assuming the state of Indiana allows, and the event organizers continue to sponsor the ride, you’ll see several cyclists peddling across the state on July 18, 2020 wearing the IHF logo on their jerseys. The pictures below provides all the details for participating in the ride (to include ordering information for jerseys and zip-tees). We need: 1) Bikers 2) Boosters, and 3) Donors. If you’re interested in participating, please follow the instructions on the flyer and SIGN UP!
RIDERS: SIGN UP TO RIDE BY CLICKING HERE
• orders a Jersey (instructions below)
• the Ride coordinator will provide more details
• after you’ve signed up.
• ask every Body you Know to donate to IHF on behalf of the cycling team
• Riders must Register for Rain in order to participate in the Indy Honor Flight fundraiser To Register with RainRide.org
• Riders must provide their own support for the Ride (IHF does not provide support along the route)
• Indy Honor Flight is not affiliated with Rain or the Bloomington Bicycle club
BOOSTERS: BOOSTERS (CHEERLEADERS) SIGN UP HERE
• choose a location and time
• hold signs/wave flags
• spread the word about IHF
• the Booster coordinator will provide more details after you’ve signed up
• Go to www.indyhonorflight.org
• click the “donate” tab
• complete “donation” section
• in special note put “Rain 2020”
• scroll down and click “submit via paypal”
• enter name/email and click “checkout with paypal”
• sign into paypal OR click “pay with debit or credit card”
• if using your paypal account, follow paypal instsructions
• if using debit/credit card as paypal guest, enter card
• Number, Billing Address, and contact information and
• click “pay now”
• write check to “Indy Honor Flight”
• write “Rain 2020” on the memo line
• mail to: Indy Honor Flight
• P.o. Box 10
• Plainfield, IN 46168
All donations should be made by August 15th, 2020
HOW TO ORDER JERSEYS
• go to: www.Jakroo.com
• create an account and log in
• search “Indy Honor Flight” in ‘find my team store’
• make your selections and follow instructions to complete your purchase
• All garments are custom made upon order. Delivery time is shown on the order screen. Shipped directly to you. No refunds!
• Highly Recommend Reviewing sizes for “fondo” and “tango” on the Jakroo website…NOT standard sizing! Call Jakroo directly for assistance!
• Indy Honor Flight does NOT receive any proceeds from the sale of these garments.
Vote by Mail/Absentee Ballot – Know your Options
While this might not be news to some of you, in these uncertain times we wanted to provide this information for anyone considering the vote by mail or absentee ballot option. The 2020 Indiana Primary Election will be held on June 2nd. If you, a family member, neighbor or your Veteran would like to vote from home (and avoid a trip to the polls) you MUST mail a request for a ballot no later than May 21st. The qualifications are listed on this link along with instructions on how to request to have a ballot mailed to your house. Please help someone who may not have access to the computer or a printer!
More Information on Voting by Mail
Shop Amazon and help IHF!
While life seems to be on pause, it still keeps moving. If you have a Senior you want to send a graduation gift to check out Amazon and help us fly our heroes too? Just shop Amazon Smile and they will donate a percentage of your purchase to us!!! Sign up for Amazon Smile and select Indy Honor Flight as the charity you support, that is all there is to it!To the Class of 2020 IHF sends our congratulations and best wishes for your future!
NEW REQUIREMENTS FOR INDIANA DRIVERS LICENSE – REAL ID NEEDED TO FLY STARTING OCTOBER 2021
This has been pushed out to October 2021. Is your driver’s license Real ID compliant? If it doesn’t have a little gold star up in the corner, that’s a nope.
People in Indiana applying for a new driver’s license, learner’s permit or ID card are being encouraged to go ahead and upgrade to a Real ID-compliant version at the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles. The cards will be required for everyone beginning in October 2020.
For those who have not yet made the switch but are looking to fly with us as a Guardian, Bus Captain or Medic or if you have a loved one or friend on our waiting list please encourage them to make the switch to the Indiana Real ID now. This is required to board an airplane starting October 2020. Below is a link to the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles that will provide more information on what documents are needed, etc.
Everything you need to know about Real ID